Proposed BHP Steelworks Site Newcastle 1911
Parish of Newcastle, Northumberland : Port Waratah (with future site of B.H.P. Steelworks) by A.F. Hall, Licensed Surveyor ; photo-lithographed by W.A. Gullick, Government Printer, Sydney, N.S.W. [Sydney] : [New South Wales Department of Lands], .
- Land proposed to be sold to Broken Hill Proprietary Co. Ltd edged brown;
- Roads proposed to be closed and sold to Broken Hill Proprietary Ltd hatched red;
- Caledonian Coal Co’s Railway proposed to be resumed coloured purple;
- Area proposed to be leased to the Broken Hill Proprietary Co Ltd hatched blue.
This is a map of the proposed site of Newcastle Steel Works in Newcastle around 1911.
It shows the proposed BHP Steelworks site, and its proximity to the Hunter River, and features such as the jetty for the ferry to Moscheto Island and “Muncaster’s House”.
There is also mapped out the Botanical Gardens and Mayfield East Public School. The area of the old botanic gardens was sold to B.H.P. in 1912.
Not quite sure who this “Muncaster” was; either Thomas Muncaster, shipping manager with the Lambton Colliery, a.k.a. Scottish-Austalian Mining Company, or another “Thomas Muncaster” who was a farmer on Dempsey Island. Are they the same person? *Anyone who knows more on this, please let us know.
Prepared by Gionni di Gravio, OAM
University Archivist, & Chair HLH.
4 thoughts on “BHP Steelworks Site Newcastle in 1911”
The land for Mayfield East Public School (known then as Waratah PS) was granted by the government in 1873 as an area of 2 acres. A new school with attached residence opened in 1875 which accommodated 90 pupils. The school and residence was built by J. Ash for seven hundred & twenty nine pounds. Waratah Public School changed its name to Mayfield East Public School in 1912, with Hanbury Public School becoming Waratah Public school.