A collection of aerial images donated to the Geology Department at University of Newcastle have been digitised and made public to the wider community via the UONCC Flickr site . The photographs were transferred to Cultural Collections and stored in archives at the Auchmuty Library, University of Newcastle, together with other archival material from the Geology Dept. The original images are held at Cultural Collections.
This Flight Line Diagram of Camberwell above corresponds to Aerial Photographs taken in January 1967 and August 1972. These diagrams were used to record the flight path (known as runs) of the aircraft that was used to take the photographs. The original is located in Box C3016.
The aerial photographs relate to the Hunter Region and mid-North Coast. Locality include:-
- Manning north of Barrington Tops, Upper Hunter LGA, taken in July 1944. Box C3014, project name “Barry”.
- Burning Mountain (Mount Wingen), located in the Upper Hunter Shire near the village of Wingen, taken June 1972. Box C3016.
- Hunter/Mid North Coast region of Bulahdelah, including the Myall Lakes Region, taken in January 1952. Box C3016.
- Central Western region of Burrendong, in an area located near the village towns of Mumbil and Stuart Town (formerly “Ironbark”), taken in April 1951. Box C3016, project name “Burrendong”. Photographs were taken before the construction of Burrendong Dam/Lake Burrendong in 1958.
- Hunter Region of New South Wales, surrounding the small village of Camberwell, taken in November 1958. Box C3016.
- Upper Hunter region of Muswellbrook, and surrounding areas of the Muswellbrook Shire, taken in November 1958. Box C3031.
Hunter region of Newcastle,and surrounding areas of Lake Macquarie, Maitland and Cessnock taken in July 1954. Box C3031.
Many thanks to Jessica Waugh (Project Lead) and Jessica Grey for their assistance on this project, it is greatly appreciated. Further aerial photographs will continue to be uploaded during 2018.