VICTORIA BRIDGE BETWEEN EAST AND WEST MAITLAND
(From The Illustrated Sydney News 3 December 1853 page 66)
This Bridge is from an English design materially improved by the Colonial Architect, E.T. Blackett, Esquire. The building was commenced about the middle of 1851, and finished at a cost of leas (sic) than £2,000. A similar bridge is in process of erection at Yass, which it is estimated will cost £8,000. This great difference in the cost is caused, in consequence of the immense rise in the value of labour and price of materials. The bridge which is built in an oblique direction, over Wallis’ Creek, is very durable, and well adapted for the purpose for which it was originally intended. The length of it is 170 feet. Besides the carriage-way, there are footpaths on both sides. A grand procession of Odd Fellows, &c., took place at the completion of it on 21st June, 1852. It was christened by the daughter of Major Crummer. Part of ceremony consisted in breaking a bottle of wine over the centre arch.