(The Illustrated Sydney News 16 October 1865 page 3)
The town of Morpeth is situated on the Hunter River, at the highest point navigable for steamers of any size. It is, properly speaking, the port of Maitland, from whence it is distant about four miles. It is connected with Maitland, Newcastle, and Singleton, by the Great Northern Railway, the extension of which will greatly tend to advance the interests of Morpeth; and a few years we may expect it not only to be the principal depot of the entire agricultural produce of the Hunter River District, but also of the immense tract of country lying between the Bogan, Nammoy, and the sea coast. Trade with Sydney is at present carried on by two lines of steamers, the A.S.N. and Hunter River S.N. Companies, who vie in providing the finest accomodation and the fastest boats. Passengers leaving Sydney at 11 p.m. arrive in Morpeth next morning, and are enabled to leave again for Sydney the same evening.