MAITLAND. VICTORIA BRIDGE BETWEEN EAST AND WEST MAITLAND. This Bridge is from an English design materially improved by the Colonil Architect, E.T. Blacket, Esquire. The building was commenced about the middle of 1852, and finished at a cost of less than £2,000. The bridge which is built in an oblique direction, over Wallis Creek, … More Victoria Bridge Maitland in 1855
Tom and Glenda Jones have kindly donated three framed engravings to the University of Newcastle’s Cultural Collections, originally published in the Town and Country Journal, and depicting Newcastle in 1872, 1889 and 1891 respectively. We have digitised them at 600dpi for closer inspection below. Click on each of the images to view the higher resolution … More Three Framed Engravings of Newcastle: 1872, 1889 and 1891
Toll, or Rose Cottage is a mysterious little cottage nestled inside the modern footprint of the Family Law Court in Bolton Street Newcastle. Its quaint size and simple shape immediately calls to mind the convict era cottage structures that you find have survived all over Battery Point in Hobart. Could this little place … More FACT CHECK: Is Toll Cottage (or Rose Cottage) in Bolton Street, Newcastle’s Oldest Building?
THE RECENT GALE THE first premonition of the storm was felt on the morning of the 11th ult; : the barometer became very unsettled, and heavy banked clouds along the eastern horizon became heavier as the day wore on, until about two o’clock, when the wind, shifted from W. to S. and E., and the … More Wreck of the Cawarra, at Newcastle (Illustrated Sydney News 16th August 1866)
WRECK OF THE VICTOR, AT NEWCASTLE. ON the 16th ult. the brig Victor, of and for Melbourne from Newcastle, with coals, was becalmed off the latter port, and slowly drifted ashore until the captain, not liking the vessel’s position, attempted, unsuccessfully, to wear her, and immediately afterwards she bumped heavily. The steam tug Prince … More Wreck of the Victor, at Newcastle. 16th April 1866
NEWCASTLE. Newcastle, formerly known as King’s Town, is a free port in the County of Northumberland. It is situated about eighty miles from Sydney, at the mouth of the Hunter, which, rising in the Liverpool Range, passes through a fertile and extensive tract of country, and receiving, below the thriving inland town of Maitland, two … More Newcastle in 1855 (Illustrated Sydney News)
Mysterious “Mr Thorn” – Unsung Saviour of Nobbys and Princes By Gionni Di Gravio In 1853 the Government hatched a plan to blow up Nobbys island in order to build a lighthouse. Lieutenant Colonel Barney and Gother T. Mann on the 4 March 1853 agreed and embraced the idea of blasting the rock. By April … More Mysterious “Mr Thorn” – Unsung Saviour of Nobbys and Princes
NEWCASTLE (From The Illustrated Sydney News, 26 November 1853 p.58) Newcastle, formerly known as King’s Town, is a free port in the County of Northumberland. It is situated about eighty miles from Sydney, at the mouth of the Hunter, which, rising in the Liverpool Range, passes through a fertile and extensive tract of country, … More Newcastle in November 1853