The Victoria Theatre Company, Limited file held at the State Archives and Records Authority of New South Wales contains original documentation relating to the formation and directorship of the company from 1887 to 1971. We thank Wendy Gallagher, Senior Advisor, Regional Relations at SARA for locating the material.
The Victoria Theatre Company Limited No.974 (Courtesy of State Archives and Records Authority of New South Wales) 9MB PDF File
- Companies Act. The Victoria Theatre Company Limited No. 974
- 2103 Dated 3rd March 1887. Articles of Association of Victoria Theatre Company Limited Newcastle. Received into the Registrar Generals Office Sydney the 11th day of March 1887. [Articles of Association to accompany Memorandum of Association of “THE VICTORIA THEATRE COMPANY, LIMITED.” Five Directors Edward P. Capper, Henry J. Corden, Joseph Creer, William A. Orr and Joseph Wood.
- 2103 Dated 3rd March 1887. Memorandum of Association of Victoria Theatre Company Limited Newcastle. Received into the Registrar Generals Office Sydney the 11th day of March 1887. PKT 974 Received into the Registrar Generals Office Sydney the 11th day of March 1887.The objects for which the Company is established are:-
I. To purchase or otherwise acquire the property in Perkin’s Street Newcastle known as the Victoria Theatre described as follows:- All that piece of land containing by admeasurement thirty perches, situated in the town of Newcastle parish of Newcastle and County of Northumberland in said Colony being Allotment 184 of Section No. [ ] bounded on the east by 92 links of the west side of Perkin’s Street bearing south seven degrees west on the south by a line dividing it from Allotment 182 bearing west seven degrees north two chains and four links on the west by a line dividing it from Allotment 185 bearing north seven degrees east ninety-two links and on the north by a line dividing it from Allotment 186 bearing east seven degrees south two chains and four links to Perkin’s Street being the allotment sold as Lot 31 in pursuance of the advertisement of the 30th day of January 1839. Also all that piece or parcel of land part of Lot 182 contiguous to and adjoining the above described land and having five feet frontage to Perkin’s Street and bounded on the north by one hundred and thirty-two feet of the south side of said lot number 184 by a depth of two chains and four links together with the buildings and erections thereon and the rights of way and other appurtenances belonging or appertaining to the said land and hereditaments with all chattels therein or thereon.
II. To lease sell subdivide demise or mortage or otherwise deal with the said properly or any part thereof.
III. To purchase or otherwise acquire by assignment or otherwise either in the name of the Company or of Trustees any lands or chattals and also to sell let or otherwise dispose of any lands or chattels the property of the Company.
IV. To erect improve repair rebuild or demolish buildings on the lands of the Company.
V. To do all such other things as are or may be incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objects.
- The Victoria Theatre Company Limited. Notices of Special General Meeting of Shareholders and Resolutions January 1891 – 1937.
- The Victoria Theatre Company Limited. Registered Office. 1890-1971
- The Victoria Theatre Company Limited. Return of Particulars in the Register of Directors 1948-1967.
This work is being conducted to support the work of Dr Gillian Arrighi, Convenor, Creative and Performing Arts, School of Creative Industries, who along with Stephanie Holm have been funded by the ARC, through the LIEF scheme, under the aegis of the AusStage Phase 6 Visualising Venues in Australian Live Performance project (LE170100003), a national project involving 12 universities, administered by Finders University.
We are attempting to track down as many original archival sources relating to Victoria Theatre, such as plans, photographs and descriptions, with particular reference to the 1890s period in particular, to assist our UON IT Innovation team in the 3D reconstruction of the Victoria Theatre. Gaute Rasmussen and Vendela Pento, Innovation Specialists conducting the work of creating the model, at a recent meeting of the Hunter Living Histories provided a background to the project, and the kinds of documentary material they are looking for, in order to create the most accurate model for the 1891 Victoria Theatre.
Gionni Di Gravio
10 July 2018
One thought on “The Victoria Theatre Company Limited”