Aborigines of the Hunter Region [Kit]
Aborigines of the Hunter Region [Kit] was a resource kit created for teachers and compiled in the 1980s for the Department of Education.
It consisted of 7 booklets, 10 prints with questions, 45 slides (most in colour), notes to the audio visual materials and a sound cassette which included Perc Haslam speaking about the language of the local Aboriginal people. There were three editions created. This digitised edition is Percy Haslam’s copy of the 2nd Edition.
“The ultimate objective, therefore was to inculcate the children of the Hunter Region, and that encompasses many ethnic groups, with a respect for and an understanding of a race of Australian people.”
People involved in the preparation of this kit were:
- Perc Haslam – Visiting Scholar (Aboriginal Studies) Newcastle University.
- John Heath – Education Officer Aboriginal Grants. Member of the Awabakal Co-operative.
- Bob Jakes – Raymond Terrace High School
- Bryce James – Science Consultant, Hunter Region
- Bill Needham – Science Teacher, Cessnock High School
- Boris Sokoloff – Primary Teacher, Cardiff North Primary School. Curriculum Perspective Consultant. (1983 – 1984 ) Hunter Region.
- Helen Vaile – Social Studies Lecturer, Newcastle Colleae of Advanced Education
- John West – Primary Teacher, Cessnock Primary School
The Committee would also like to acknowledge the assistance given by the following groups:
- N.S.W. Aboriginal Education Consultative Group
- National Aboriginal Education Council
- Awabakal Aboriginal Co-operative, Newcastle
- Trevor Cook, Special Projects, Department of Education, Sydney.
- Mrs C. Dobbins, artist.
- Government Printer
- John Deacon, artist.
In the preparation of the 2nd Edition thanks go to:
- Peter Carson, Irrawang Public School
- Pat Davidson, Cardiff High School
- Bill Hepp, Elermorvale Primary School
- Bob Ireland, Curriculum Perspectives Consultant, (1985-) Hunter Region
- Ray Kelly, Cultural Officer, Awabakal Aboriginal Co-operative.
Special Thanks to:
- Diane Roberts, Rutherford Public School
- Hunter Region P.E.P. Consultants.
Thanks to Melanie Patfield who digitised the Aborigines of the Hunter Region Kit for the University of Newcastle in November 2010.
Aborigines of the Hunter Region [Kit] 2nd Edition
Aborigines of the Hunter Region
-Booklet 1. Introduction ; Contents; Subject index ; Bibliography
-Booklet 2. Australian prehistory, Aboriginal history
-Booklet 3. Traditional Aboriginal society : economic and material culture
-Booklet 4. Traditional Aboriginal society : social aspects
-Booklet 5. Black and white contact
-Booklet 6. Contemporary Aboriginal society
-Booklet 7. Teaching strategies [7MB PDF]
Audio visual materials notes for teachers [664 KB PDF]
Prints. [Photographic study, traditional life] [25.3 MB PDF]
Slides. [Material culture ; Foods ; Ceremonial art sites, ceremonies and legends] [27.4 MB PDF]
Cassette, Side 1. Track 1 – Aboriginal Languages by Perc Haslam
(33 min.) [29.7 MB MP3]
Cassette, Side 2. Track 1 – Contemporary Aboriginal Music [26.3 MB MP3]
Cassette, Side 2. Traditional Aboriginal Music [16.1 MB MP3]
Compiled by Gionni Di Gravio, OAM in 2011, with revisions 2022.
4 thoughts on “Aborigines of the Hunter Region Kit”
I cannot get these PDFs to open? I would love them.
Yes we have an ongoing glitch with our links to the Library Catalogue where the original pdfs are held. The pdfs can be accessed directly from our NEWCAT catalogue http://library.newcastle.edu.au/search~S16?/Xaborigines+hunter+region&SORT=D&searchscope=16/Xaborigines+hunter+region&SORT=D&searchscope=16&SUBKEY=aborigines+hunter+region/1%2C6%2C6%2CB/frameset&FF=Xaborigines+hunter+region&SORT=D&searchscope=16&1%2C1%2C
or go to Newcat http://library.newcastle.edu.au/ and search Aborigines Hunter Region, then download from there.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Hi Katie, Try the links on the blog now, I’ve directly re-uploaded everything, and by-passed the library catalogue for now.